Subject: SMSC 9303 support

From: Gary Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 06:21:42 -0600

I need to support the SMSC9303 in an embedded system.  I'm not
finding any [explicit] support for this device in the latest
mainline kernel.  Did I miss something?

To be clear, the SMSC9303 is a 3-port managed ethernet switch
capable of supporting 802.1D/802.1Q directly. This switch is
driven by a single MAC via MII/RMII and exposes the other two
ports via physical PHYs.  What I need it to do is behave like
two external, separate devices.  I was thinking that what I need
to do is treat these as VLAN devices since the switch can manage
the routing.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
How do I "hook up" my normal ethernet driver to it?  To the hardware
it just looks like any other MII/RMII PHY.  The device is managed
separately via I2C.  I can have that set up separately if necessary.

Thanks for any pointers/ideas

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
MLB Associates              |    Embedded world
------------------------------------------------------------