Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] l2 hardware accelerated macvlans

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 07:17:21 -0800

On 11/5/2013 6:47 AM, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
> Hi John

[...]

>> series. It would be best (I think) to use the software
>> path for macvlan to macvlan traffic and save the PCIe
>> bus. Also this only allows for layer 2 mac forwarding
>> where some hardware supports more interesting forwarding
>> capabilities. Integrating with OVS may be useful here.
>
> This seems to be saying that for macvlan-macvlan
> case, you still prefere to do software based forwarding, but
> patch 1 in the series seem to always attempt to do hardware
> offloaded forwarding regardless of traffic and macvlan type.
> Can you clarify.
>
> Thanks
> -vlad
>

This series always attempts to do hardware offload even in the
macvlan-macvlan case as you note. I'm suggesting a further
optimization might be to use the software based forwarding in
this case. My plan is to investigate this after I get the initial
series completed.

.John