Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Add ceph root filesystem functionality and documentation.

From: Mark Doffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:53:21 -0600

On 11/21/2013 02:19 PM, David Dillow wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 20:13 -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
>> The following patch series adds the ability to use a ceph distributed
>> file system as the root device. The functionality is similar to
>> NFS root but for the ceph filesystem.
>
> Why do this in the kernel vs in the initramfs? Dracut would be a more
> appropriate place, I think, as it has support for other network root
> devices already.

I don't know if its a good idea to require an initramfs for mounting a
rootfs over the network. NFS root is currently in the kernel, and
frequently used without an initramfs.

Booting from ceph using a root device is relatively simple compared to
generating an initramfs and it has the possibility of producing smaller
images for memory constrained devices.

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-nfs" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html