Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/8] b44: cheek register instead of PHY address to detect external PHY

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 23:04:12 +0300

Hello.

On 12/15/2013 09:41 PM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:

    s/cheek/check/ in the subject. :-)

> The Ethernet core supported by b44 supports an internal PHY integrated
> into the mac core, which is supported by the b44 driver and an external
> PHY to which the mac core is connected. This external PHY could be a
> switch connected through MII, which is often the case when this core is
> used on home routers. The usage of an external PHY was assumed when the
> PHY address 30 was used and an internal PHY was assumed when the PHY
> address was different. To verify that b44_phy_reset() was called and
> checked if it worked, otherwise PHY address 30 was assumed, an external
> PHY. It is better to check the register which says which PHY is
> connected to the MAC instead of checking the PHY address.

> This also changes B44_FLAG_INTERNAL_PHY to B44_FLAG_EXTERNAL_PHY, it is
> easier to check.

> Signed-off-by: Hauke Mehrtens <[email-masked]>

WBR, Sergei