Subject: inconsistency of ethtool feature names for get vs. set

From: Or Gerlitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 11:47:37 +0200

Hi Ben,

I noticed some inconsistency of feature names with the ethtool 
getting/setting of features mechanics -- the name of the feature you 
need to set (through -K) isn't what displayed by the get (-k) directive, 
here's an example:

$ ethtool -k eth1  | grep generic-receive-offload
generic-receive-offload: on

$ ethtool -K eth1  generic-receive-offload off
ethtool: bad command line argument(s)
For more information run ethtool -h

--> looking in the sources and realizing I need to use "rx-gro"

$ ethtool -K eth1  rx-gro on

$ethtool -k eth1  | grep generic-receive-offload
generic-receive-offload: on

same problem for rx checksum which is displayed as "rx-checksumming" by 
the get (-k)
but need to be "rx-checksum" for the set (-K) directive.

Basically, this can be resolved by fairly simple patch, but I wasn't 
sure if you want it in user space, in the kernel or both...

Or.