Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/6] phy: kill excess code

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 19:24:19 +0300

Hello.

On 01/04/2014 01:12 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:

>  > Remove tens of lines of unnecessary code:

>  > - kill empty lines between a function call and its result check;

>  > - convert assignments to initializers;

>  > - kill useless assignments before *return*;

>  > - kill excess empty lines.

> I might be completely out of date on what checkpatch is picky about these days

    Yes, you probably are.

> but it seems to me like all of these changes would trigger new warnings, I

    No new warnings were added. You should really have checked before you 
spoken out.

> will take a closer look, but for now I don't see this patch making any
> reability improvements, quite the contrary.

    Apparently, tastes vary. To me, e.g. empty lines between the function call 
and result (error) check are a waste of space which is avoided by all other 
kernel code I had to read.

>  > Signed-off-by: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>

>  > ---
>  >  drivers/net/phy/phy.c        |   31 ++++------------------------
>  >  drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c |   46
> +++++++------------------------------------
>  >  2 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 64 deletions(-)

    May I ask you not to quote the full patch if you're replying only to the 
header? Please show some respect to people who read your messages.

WBR, Sergei