Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] phylib: cleanups

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 17:40:08 +0400

On 05-01-2014 12:31, Richard Cochran wrote:

>>>     Because get_maintainer.pl doesn't suggest it and because Andy Fleming
>>> seems no longer interested in maintaining his code written back in 2004.

> It never hurts to ask.

    I would have probably asked if there were not so many obstacles to doing that.

> Your patches are saying, "Andy, your code has poor style."

    It's coming back from 2004, so maybe the style wasn't considered bad at 
that time...

> I don't
> agree, especially about #3.

    It's your right. However, v2 of the patchset has been applied already.

> Also, maybe the deleted callback will
> useful one day.

    We kept it for almost 10 years and it never got useful. As I understood 
DaveM's policy it is "we don't keep unused stuff".

> After all, there are not that many phylib drivers.

    Really? I find the number to be intimidating enough to not do the cleanups 
on them also in this same patchset. Anyway, the callback was intended for the 
Ethernet drivers.

> Perhaps future MAC drivers will need this.

    We can always add it back in that case. However, phy_start_machine() which 
is the only way to set the callback was not even exported, so not generally 
usable for the MAC drivers. I guess this facility wasn't well thought out from 
the start.

>>     Besides, I don't have his current email address (the source code
>> doesn't provide any).

> Here, let me find that for you.

    Thanks I found those eventually. However, my LinkedIn account told me that 
Andy left Freescale about that time (it also gave up his private email though).

> Thanks,
> Richard

WBR, Sergei