Subject: Re: [PATCH v5] can: add Renesas R-Car CAN driver

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:12:53 +0400

Hello.

On 20-01-2014 15:43, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

>> Changes in version 3:

>> - added '__packed' to 'struct rcar_can_mbox_regs' and 'struct rcar_can_regs';
>> - removed unneeded type cast in the probe() method.

>> +/* Mailbox registers structure */
>> +struct rcar_can_mbox_regs {
>> +       u32 id;         /* IDE and RTR bits, SID and EID */
>> +       u8 stub;        /* Not used */
>> +       u8 dlc;         /* Data Length Code - bits [0..3] */
>> +       u8 data[8];     /* Data Bytes */
>> +       u8 tsh;         /* Time Stamp Higher Byte */
>> +       u8 tsl;         /* Time Stamp Lower Byte */
>> +} __packed;

> Sorry, I missed the earlier discussion, but why the _packed?
> One u32 and 12 bytes makes a nice multiple of 4.

    Mainly for consistency as this is a structure representing the hardware 
registers.

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

>                          Geert

WBR, Sergei