Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/2] can: Decrease default size of CAN_RAW socket send queue

From: Marc Kleine-Budde <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:01:37 +0100

On 01/23/2014 09:41 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Michal Sojka <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:27:36 +0100
> 
>> Since the length of the qdisc queue was set by default to 10
>> packets, this is exactly what was happening.
> 
> This is your bug, set the qdisc limit to something more reasonable.
> 
> Something large enough to absorb the traffic wrt. the speed at which
> the CAN device can sink the data.

Hmmm, the problem is on i686 I have to increase the txqueuelen to 366
before the socket works as expected (writes are blocking). This means if
there are two processes one sending a stream of bulk data and the other
one occasionally more important data there will be a lot of frames in
front of the important ones.

With Michal's patch we can limit the number of frames in flight to a
reasonably low amount.

> These two patches are something I am not willing to apply to my
> tree, this is not how you solve this problem, sorry.

Marc

-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |
Vertretung West/Dortmund          | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |
Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686  | http://www.pengutronix.de   |