Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] can: sja1000: cleanups and new OF property

From: Marc Kleine-Budde <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:36:43 +0100

On 01/30/2014 04:27 PM, Florian Vaussard wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> On 01/30/2014 04:22 PM, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
>> Hello Florian,
>>
>> On 01/30/2014 03:29 PM, Florian Vaussard wrote:
>>> The first part of this series performs serveral small cleanups
>>> (patches 1 to 3).
>>
>> Thanks for your contribution. I like patches 1 and 2.
>>
>>> The second part introduces the 'reg-io-width' binding (already used
>>> by some other drivers) to perform a similar job as what was done
>>> with IORESOURCE_MEM_XXBIT on the sja1000_platform. This is needed
>>> on my system to correctly take into account the aliasing of the
>>> address bus.
>>
>> And I appreciate the improvements for the of_platform driver. However
>> that driver was written back when it was not possible to have platform
>> and of bindings in the same driver. So I'd like to see that the
>> of_platform driver gets merged into the platform driver.
>>
> 
> Fine. Is an incremental patch on top of this series ok for you ?

I'd rather see patches 1 and 2 you have already posted, then probably a
modernization patch which converts the platform driver to use devm_ and
friends. Then a patch adding the existing of bindings [1]. This patch is
probably quite small if you prepare the driver in the modernization
patch properly. The last patch will add the new reg-io-width property.

Marc

[1] Maybe also deleting the existing of_platform driver, but I'm not sure.
-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |
Vertretung West/Dortmund          | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |
Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686  | http://www.pengutronix.de   |