Subject: Re: [PATCH] DT: net: document Ethernet bindings in one place

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 18:36:03 +0300

Hello.

On 02/05/2014 03:08 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

>>>>>>>>>       I'm afraid that's too late, it has spread very far, so that
>>>>>>>>> of_get_phy_mode() handles that property, not "phy-connection-type".

>>>>>>>> Uggg, I guess this is a case of a defacto standard then if the kernel
>>>>>>>> doesn't even support it.

>>>>>>> Maybe I forgot to CC you on patch sent to Grant only, I sent a patch a
>>>>>>> while ago for of_get_phy_mode() to look for both "phy-mode" and
>>>>>>> "phy-connection-type" since the former has been a Linux invention, but
>>>>>>> the latter is ePAPR specified.

>>>>>> Here is a link to the actual patch in question, not sure which tree
>>>>>> Grant applied it to though:

>>>>>> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1311.2/00048.html

>>>>>       It's not the patch mail, it's Grant's "applied" reply, patch is mangled in
>>>>> this reply, and I couldn't follow the thread. Here's the actual patch mail:

>>>>> http://marc.info/?l=devicetree&m=138449662807254

>>>>       Florian, I didn't find this patch in Grant's official tree, so maybe you
>>>> should ask him where is the patch already?

>>> Sorry, I accidentally dropped it. It will be in the next merge window.

>>      Already saw it, thanks. Would that it was in 3.14 instead of course, so
>> that I could use "phy-connection-type" in my binding...

> Is 3.14 broken because of missing the patch? If so I'll get it merged as
 > a bug fix.

    No, it's not. I could have used "phy-connection-type" in my binding 
destined for 3.15 and document it as a preferred property as well.

> g.

WBR, Sergei