Subject: Re: [PATCH] DT: net: document Ethernet bindings in one place

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:06:22 +0400

Hello.

On 06-02-2014 13:43, Grant Likely wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>        I'm afraid that's too late, it has spread very far, so that
>>>>>>>>>>> of_get_phy_mode() handles that property, not "phy-connection-type".

>>>>>>>>>> Uggg, I guess this is a case of a defacto standard then if the kernel
>>>>>>>>>> doesn't even support it.

>>>>>>>>> Maybe I forgot to CC you on patch sent to Grant only, I sent a patch a
>>>>>>>>> while ago for of_get_phy_mode() to look for both "phy-mode" and
>>>>>>>>> "phy-connection-type" since the former has been a Linux invention, but
>>>>>>>>> the latter is ePAPR specified.

>>>>>>>> Here is a link to the actual patch in question, not sure which tree
>>>>>>>> Grant applied it to though:

>>>>>>>> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1311.2/00048.html

>>>>>>>        It's not the patch mail, it's Grant's "applied" reply, patch is mangled in
>>>>>>> this reply, and I couldn't follow the thread. Here's the actual patch mail:

>>>>>>> http://marc.info/?l=devicetree&m=138449662807254

>>>>>>        Florian, I didn't find this patch in Grant's official tree, so maybe you
>>>>>> should ask him where is the patch already?

>>>>> Sorry, I accidentally dropped it. It will be in the next merge window.

>>>>       Already saw it, thanks. Would that it was in 3.14 instead of course, so
>>>> that I could use "phy-connection-type" in my binding...

>>> Is 3.14 broken because of missing the patch? If so I'll get it merged as
>>   > a bug fix.

>>      No, it's not. I could have used "phy-connection-type" in my binding
>> destined for 3.15 and document it as a preferred property as well.

> You still can. We just need to make sure that your patch is applied on

    Patches.

> top of the phy-connection-type patch.

    I'm not sure this trick is possible if the patches are merged via the 
different trees...

> g.

WBR, Sergei