Subject: [PATCH][resend] Update e1000 to use module_param()

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:36:35 -0700

(resending because this seems to have been lost; e1000 still has mixed
MODULE_PARM and module_param use)

The change to e1000_main.c in

    [email-masked], 2004-05-27 13:44:06-04:00, [email-masked]
      [PATCH] e1000 7/7: Support for ethtool msglevel based error

added module_param(debug, ...) to e1000_main.c.  Since e1000_param.c
still uses MODULE_PARM(), this means that one gets

    e1000: Ignoring new-style parameters in presence of obsolete ones

when e1000 is loaded, so the debug parameter cannot even be set.

The patch below fixes this by updating e1000_param.c to use
module_param() as well.  Since module_param might make the parameters
visible in sysfs, I removed the __devinitdata notation from the
parameter arrays as well, just to be safe.

Thanks,
  Roland

Signed-off-by: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>

Index: linux-2.6.8.1/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_param.c
===================================================================
--- linux-2.6.8.1.orig/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_param.c	2004-08-14 03:55:48.000000000 -0700
+++ linux-2.6.8.1/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_param.c	2004-08-15 08:16:31.109671753 -0700
@@ -55,9 +55,11 @@
  * over and over (plus this helps to avoid typo bugs).
  */
 
+static int param_count;
+
 #define E1000_PARAM(X, S) \
-static const int __devinitdata X[E1000_MAX_NIC + 1] = E1000_PARAM_INIT; \
-MODULE_PARM(X, "1-" __MODULE_STRING(E1000_MAX_NIC) "i"); \
+static int X[E1000_MAX_NIC + 1] = E1000_PARAM_INIT; \
+module_param_array(X, int, param_count, 0); \
 MODULE_PARM_DESC(X, S);
 
 /* Transmit Descriptor Count