Subject: Re: Advice needed on IP-over-InfiniBand driver

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:49:25 -0700

jamal> Probably just easier to have his own private tables holding
    jamal> reference to neighbor entries instead of polluting the
    jamal> neighbor tables.  Listens to ARP events - on state
    jamal> transition to/from reachable state he queries his remote
    jamal> manager.

This does seem neater, but I don't know how to implement it.  How does
one hook into ARP events?

    jamal> Curious though if ARP still works even when that "path"
    jamal> thing hasnt been resolved.

ARP works because we can send broadcasts even without a path to a
specific destination.  (I'm leaving out the details of how IP
broadcast gets mapped to InfiniBand multicast)  When the system with
the IP we're looking for receives a broadcast ARP, it can use the HW
address in the ARP request to look up a path, so it can send an ARP
reply.

Thanks,
  Roland