Subject: Re: [PATCH] of_mdio: fix phy interrupt passing

From: Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:42:07 +0000

On 17/02/14 17:26, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> 2014-02-17 8:29 GMT-08:00 Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>:
>> The of_mdiobus_register_phy() is not setting phy->irq this causing
>> some drivers to incorrectly assume that the PHY does not have an
>> IRQ associated with it or install an interrupt handler for the
>> PHY.
>>
>> Simplify the code setting irq and set the phy->irq at the same
>> time so that the case if mdio->irq is not NULL is easier to read.
>
> The real bug fix, which is not properly explained here, is that
> irq_of_parse_and_map() should return values > 0 when the interrupt is
> valid, so this makes me wonder why we are not propagating the return
> value from irq_of_parse_and_map() in case the call to
> of_irq_parse_one() does return something non-zero?

No, the first issue is phy->dev never gets set, which causes the
issue. The cleanup was added as it seemed easier to put it in with
this.

I think phy->irq is already initialised to PHY_POLL and thus there
is no need to set phy->irq if the irq_of_parse_and_map() fails.

-- 
Ben Dooks				http://www.codethink.co.uk/
Senior Engineer				Codethink - Providing Genius