Subject: Re: [PATCH] of_mdio: fix phy interrupt passing

From: Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:58:35 +0000

On 17/02/14 17:48, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> 2014-02-17 9:42 GMT-08:00 Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>:
>> On 17/02/14 17:26, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ben,
>>>
>>> 2014-02-17 8:29 GMT-08:00 Ben Dooks <[email-masked]>:
>>>>
>>>> The of_mdiobus_register_phy() is not setting phy->irq this causing
>>>> some drivers to incorrectly assume that the PHY does not have an
>>>> IRQ associated with it or install an interrupt handler for the
>>>> PHY.
>>>>
>>>> Simplify the code setting irq and set the phy->irq at the same
>>>> time so that the case if mdio->irq is not NULL is easier to read.
>>>
>>>
>>> The real bug fix, which is not properly explained here, is that
>>> irq_of_parse_and_map() should return values > 0 when the interrupt is
>>> valid, so this makes me wonder why we are not propagating the return
>>> value from irq_of_parse_and_map() in case the call to
>>> of_irq_parse_one() does return something non-zero?
>>
>>
>> No, the first issue is phy->dev never gets set, which causes the
>> issue. The cleanup was added as it seemed easier to put it in with
>> this.
>
> Ok, that really needs to be mentioned in the commit message, even
> being quite familiar (and possibly dumb too) with the code, I could
> not figure this out by reading your patch.
>
>>
>> I think phy->irq is already initialised to PHY_POLL and thus there
>> is no need to set phy->irq if the irq_of_parse_and_map() fails.
>
> That is correct, the reason why I introduced 7d97637 ("net: of_mdio:
> do not overwrite PHY interrupt configuration") was that you are also
> allowed to change the irq type before calling into
> of_mdiobus_register(), so we want to preserve other irq values being
> set here, such as PHY_IGNORE_INTERRUPT. Your patch does take care of
> that since it only overrides the irq in case we could parse it.

Ok, the first sentence has a spell of thus, but does refer to phy->irq
being the problem we are looking to fix in this patch.

-- 
Ben Dooks				http://www.codethink.co.uk/
Senior Engineer				Codethink - Providing Genius