Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] ixgbe, fix numa issues

From: Prarit Bhargava <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 06:00:46 -0500

On 02/25/2014 05:21 AM, David Laight wrote:
> From: Prarit Bhargava
> ...
>> What has caused that check to be necessary is that the ixgbe driver is now
>> allocating so many interrupts that on large systems which full sockets are taken
>> in and out of service, it is possible that there are not enough empty vectors
>> for all the irqs on a down'd cpu.  IMO what the ixgbe driver is effectively
>> doing is starving the system of resources.  If I rmmod the ixgbe driver (and
>> free it's irqs of course) I have no problem in taking all cpus except 1 out of
>> service.
> 
> If I read that correctly it looks as though ixgbe should be allocating
> a number of interrupts on each cpu - for the interrupts it wants to take
> on that cpu.

Yes, the code currently does it.

> 
> Then taking the cpu out of service would 'just' require that the interrupts
> that are tied to that cpu be removed first?

Yes, that would happen with a cpu notifier (I've already written a simple dummy
one that just printk's when called).  I started to implement a single queue
teardown but hit some of these enumeration issues.  I'd like to fix these first
and then get to the teardown.

P.

> 	David

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flow-based real-time traffic analytics software. Cisco certified tool.
Monitor traffic, SLAs, QoS, Medianet, WAAS etc. with NetFlow Analyzer
Customize your own dashboards, set traffic alerts and generate reports.
Network behavioral analysis & security monitoring. All-in-one tool.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=126839071&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
E1000-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/e1000-devel
To learn more about Intel&#174; Ethernet, visit http://communities.intel.com/community/wired