Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 2/2] net: qualcomm: new Ethernet over SPI driver for QCA7000

From: Stefan Wahren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 17:54:12 +0200

Hi,

Am 29.04.2014 10:14, schrieb Arnd Bergmann:
> i think it's more important to use standard interfaces here. A random
> user trying to debug a problem with this hardware may know about
> ethtool or find that documented somewhere, but wouldn't know about the
> debugfs interfaces without reading the driver source code. The ethtool
> interface is also easier to maintain than the debugfs files. 

okay, i'll try it.

> As far as I know it's also not mandatory.
>
> If the hardware interfaces require calling sleeping functions, it
> may not actually be possible, but if you can use it, it normally
> provides better performance.

As i understood NAPI is good for high load on 1000 MBit ethernet, but
the QCA7000 has
in best case only a 10 MBit powerline connection. Additionally these
packets must be transfered
over a half duplex SPI. So i think the current driver implementation
isn't a bottle neck.

>
>> Does this mean the current state of the driver should better go to staging?
> Probably not, the driver doesn't look bad overall.
>
> 	Arnd
>

I'm relieved to hear that. Thanks for your comments.

Stefan<http://dict.leo.org/#/search=that.&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on>