Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/1] mlx4: mlx4_core failed to load

From: Carol Soto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 10:06:54 -0500

On 4/28/2014 2:59 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:33:30 -0500
>
>> This is for a case where mlx4_core fails to load.
> You cannot just will-nilly delete module parameters that you decide
> you don't want to support any more.
>
> Once you add a module parameter, you are stuck with it forever once
> it makes it into a released kernel.  It is a user visible interface.
>
> I'm not applying this patch, you have to actually fix the bug rather
> then wholesale remove the facility altogether.

The problem here is that when use_prio argument is used then the number 
of reserved qps increase from 0x20000 to 0x90000. So when it goes to 
mlx4_bitmap_init the argument reserved_top becomes a lot bigger than 
argument num, because of this then the math to get the size for the 
kzalloc is very big. The argument num is the num of qps that the adapter 
supports so then this sounds to me like a bug that if we use the 
use_prio we can not have more qps reserved than the num qps that adapter 
supports. That is why I went to the path of removing the argument in 
this patch. Any other suggestion?