Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] iproute2 bridge: bring to par with brctl show macs

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 17:41:06 -0400

On 05/27/14 11:59, Scott Feldman wrote:
>
>
> Seems you could use your new kernel filter for brports also, when br is not specified.
>If both br and brport is specified, then use filter in user-space, otherwise use filter
>in kernel on br or brport ifindex.
>

filtering by brport is very useful.
I wasnt as much concerned about that use case because i can already
filter in user space for brport when i dump (iproute2 does as well).
But i couldnt filter by bridge since that info is not even
present in the dumped data
I just saw the patch posted by Roopa - I think that now gives me the
ability to also filter by bridge in user space.

Note: All i am doing is stealing the ndm ifindex - which before was
a zero and ignore by the kernel as the bridge ifindex.
I think what you are suggesting is: if the user doesnt specify the
bridge i should use the ndm ifindex to send down the brport as
the filter. But that becomes an bridge "or" bridgeport filter
choice. A more useful scenario is to have bridge "and"
bridgeport filter. So almost seems like i need an attribute to send
down for the bridge port.
Sounds like a separate patch...

cheers,
jamal