Subject: Re: [PATCH] net-sysfs: Report link speed as signed integer

From: Michal Privoznik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 14:05:08 +0200

On 03.06.2014 09:07, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 02.06.2014 20:10, David Miller wrote:
>> From: Veaceslav Falico <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:01:50 +0200
>>
>>> I wonder, though, if we should document it or just output "Unknown"
>>> instead of -1.
>>
>> All of this discussion means that we can't change the format string
>> without potentially breaking something out there interpreting the -1
>> value, however it gets output now.
>

One more thing. The commit that changed the behavior is 8ae6daca which 
is part of the 3.0 release. So any 2.6.X kernel does report -1 while 
with 3.Y kernel you'll get this meaningless value. Having said that, we 
already broke the applications so how about unbreaking them?

Michal