Subject: Re: Trying to ping from a subinterface.

From: CLOSE Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:29:45 -0700

I wrote:

> I apologize to the group. I had been led to believe this was working on
> earlier Fedora releases. In fact, it was complaining but then falling
> back to the main interface and performing the ping anyway. What is new
> is the refusal to fall back.

Ben Greear answered:

> SO_BINDTODEVICE could never work on sub-interfaces as far as I know,
> but maybe older versions of ping just didn't bother doing SO_BINDTODEVICE.

It appears that the older version tried the call, got a failure,
complained about it, and then continued by using the main interface
instead. The exit code was not affected.

The current version tries the call, fails, complains, and exits with
code 2.

> Do you actually need sub-interfaces for some reason, or can you just use
> multiple IPs on one interface (or maybe mac-vlans)?

I can live without them. But they do provide a nice way to reference
an address by name.
-- 
Dave Close