Subject: Re: [Patch net-next] net: remove some useless list_del()

From: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 10:26:22 +0200

On 06/04/2014 04:18 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 17:11 -0700, Cong Wang wrote:
>>> "list_kill" is allocated on stack and it's a list head,
>>> it is pointless to call list_del(&kill_list) especially
>>> after unregister_netdevice_many().
>>
>> How pointless exactly ? Explain more please.
>>
>> I suggest you read various commits adding these list_del()
>>
>> f87e6f47933e3ebeced9bb12615e830a72cedce4 is a good start.
>
> Interesting thread. Thanks guys!
> detailed explanation by Linus:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/2/17/267

Indeed, thanks for the pointer. On that note, if you grep for
unregister_netdevice_many() invocations, you'll see many more
such cases that would need a list_del() actually.