Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 29/33] net: brcmfmac - set name assign type

From: Arend van Spriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:45:34 +0200

On 10-07-14 22:24, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Arend van Spriel <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 10-07-14 10:17, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>>> The name is given by the firmware, so we assume it is predictable.
>>
>> How about the scenario where one would have multiple broadcom wifi
>> devices in the system. Both driver instances would alloc_netdev with
>> predictable but also the same ifname. Wondering whether we should ignore
>> the firmware ifname altogether.
> 
> Hm, that would just fail irrespective of this patch, right? Sounds
> like ignoring the firmware names is the right thing to do.

True. I realized that when starting to type my reply. I think at the
moment we never run into the scenario that trigger this code path. Will
make a separate patch for that. Probably on top of your changes.

Regards,
Arend

> Cheers,
> Tom