Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/2] net: Header length compution function

From: Alexander Duyck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:34:22 -0700

On 07/30/2014 06:39 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Alexander Duyck <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 07:26:33 -0700
> 
>> It wasn't that I don't trust the core function.  We already had some of
>> our own code floating around for the out-of-tree LRO and so I simply
>> made use of that as it allowed for code reuse in our driver.
> 
> It would be nice if this code were converted to use the generic
> infrastructure, at some point at least.

I agree.  That is one of the reasons why I supported an earlier approach
that had made a function that was shared between the drivers.  My only
real concern was the on-stack skb approach.

The only other change I see that I might need to address would be to add
FCoE support to the function and then I can probably switch over ixgbe
to use it.

> 
> I don't think my proposed patch is a bad trade off.  Where we have the
> __skb_header_pointer() thing that takes preloaded pointers and header
> length values.  It adds only one test which frankly should never
> trigger and can be moved down into skb_copy_bits() or similar.
> 

This works for me.  Once it is in I can see about pushing a patch to add
some FCoE support and work on moving over igb and ixgbe.

Thanks,

Alex