Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/3] net: Add Keystone NetCP ethernet driver

From: Santosh Shilimkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:50:25 -0400

On Thursday 21 August 2014 10:48 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:12:41 -0400
> Santosh Shilimkar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> NetCP driver has a plug-in module architecture where each of the NetCP
>> sub-modules exist as a loadable kernel module which plug in to the netcp
>> core. These sub-modules are represented as "netcp-devices" in the dts
>> bindings. It is mandatory to have the ethernet switch sub-module for
>> the ethernet interface to be operational. Any other sub-module like the
>> PA is optional.
> 
> What are you doing to prevent/discourage proprietary binary only
> sub-modules?
> 
Not sure if you mistook this infrastructure as a replacement for the
kernel module. The sub modules are traditional kernel modules that
just registers into the NetCP framework. Kernel module infrastructure
already discourages the proprietary binary only sub-modules.

Regards,
Santosh