Subject: Re: BCM4313 & brcmsmac & 3.12: only semi-working?

From: Michael Tokarev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:13:45 +0400

[Adding netdev@ to the mix.
 Original thread, started at Dec-2013, can be found at
  http://marc.info/?t=138817851800006&r=1&w=2 or
  http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg116502.html
]

19.04.2014 15:42, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> [big skip]
> 
> 
> Tried kernel 3.14 with this device.  Still no go, the brcmsmac driver still
> does not work correctly, it stalls as before.

Today I tried 3.16 kernel today too, just for fun (since this whole brcmsmac
thing looks not more like a non-working toy).  Now with another laptop and
the same broadcom wifi adaptor (BRCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
rev 01) (because due to cracked usb port on my original notebook it does not
work anymore).

This combination (kernel & wifi) does not work at all.  Or, it is more jokish
than before -- the NIC works for ARP packets but nothing else, not even ping
or DNS or NTP.  I see the access point sending replies (to pings or dns), but
these replies are not shown by tcpdump on the laptop.  Even not all ARP packets
sent by the AP reaches the laptop.

So, I'm curious -- why this driver is found in regular section of kernel?
It looks like it should be in staging at least, or better yet, in a new section
titled "toy drivers" or something like this.  Does it work for any device at
all?

Thanks,

/mjt