Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 net-next 4/6] bpf: enable bpf syscall on x64 and i386

From: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:00:26 +0200

On 08/26/2014 09:46 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Alexei Starovoitov <ast-uqk4Ao+rVK5Wk0Htik3J/[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Stephen Hemminger
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Per discussion at Kernel Summit. Every new syscall requires
>>> a manual page and test programs. We have had too many new syscalls
>>> that are DOA.
>>
>> There is verifier testsuite that is testing eBPF verifier from userspace
>> via bpf syscall. Also there are multiple examples and libbpf.
>> I think test coverage for bpf syscall is quite substantial already.
>
> This is in tools/bpf/, right?

No, it contains a BPF JIT disasm, bpf assembler and a debugger, but the
last two are for the 'classic' BPF interface only. There's a test suite
for BPF/eBPF in general under lib/test_bpf.c, but so far it tests only
the current code w/o eBPF verifier.

That said, I think Alexei is referring to the examples et al from the
bigger previous proposed patch set.