Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 10/12] openvswitch: add support for datapath hardware offload

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:20:55 -0400

On 08/26/14 16:54, Thomas Graf wrote:
> On 08/26/14 at 01:13pm, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
>> I think it's important distinction. In-kernel OVS is not OF.
>> It's a networking function that has hard-coded packet parser,
>> N-tuple match and programmable actions.
>> There were times when HW vendors were using OF check-box
>> to sell more chips, but at the end there is not a single HW
>> that is fully OF compliant. OF brand is still around, but
>> OF 2.0 is not tcam+action anymore.
>> Imo trying to standardize HW offload interface based on OF 1.x
>> principles is strange.

I actually have no issues with whatever classifier someone decides
to use. To each their poison. But I do take issue mandating the
specified classifer it as THE CLASSIFIER as in this case,
is where i start taking issue. I have a few things that i offload
to hardware with speacilized classifiers such that i object strongly
to the approach this driver has taken.

cheers,
jamal