Subject: Re: [RFC net-next PATCH V2 0/3] qdisc bulk dequeuing and utilizing delayed tailptr updates

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 09:44:05 -0400

On 09/04/14 08:54, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> Wanted people to review this work early... so this is the current
> state, even added my debug patch, if people want to "see" it work.
>

It would be useful to collect some stats when you are
experimenting with this stuff on the average batch size the driver
sees. Maybe a histogram which shows >1, > 3, > 10 etc that a
driver was able to chew on at a time. I realize this may skew
your results a little because you have to chew cycles updating
such a histogram.

I believe that any dumb traffic generator will show lots of packets
being batched. But that is not very interesting.
It would be hard to show more than 1 in the general case for
other types of traffic - but learning what else needs to be tweaked
to achive more batch sizes would be helpful.

i.e this would help quantify whether the batching is valuable in the
general sense...

cheers,
jamal