Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH 00/29] Add support for the Intel FM10000 Ethernet Switch Host Interface

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 06:57:05 -0400

On 09/18/14 18:35, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> This patch series adds support for the FM10000 Ethernet switch host
> interface.  The Intel FM10000 Ethernet Switch is a 48-port Ethernet switch
> supporting both Ethernet ports and PCI Express host interfaces.  The fm10k
> driver provides support for the host interface portion of the switch, both
> PF and VF.
>
> As the host interfaces are directly connected to the switch this results in
> some significant differences versus a standard network driver.  For example
> there is no PHY or MII on the device.  Since packets are delivered directly
> from the switch to the host interface these are unnecessary.  Otherwise most
> of the functionality is very similar to our other network drivers such as
> ixgbe or igb.  For example we support all the standard network offloads,
> jumbo frames, SR-IOV (64 VFS), PTP, and some VXLAN and NVGRE offloads.
>

First off Kudos to the intel folks. Hopefully this is one of many such
drivers coming - and lets hope this is as landscape-changing as the
e1000 was ;-> Broadcom smell that Tim Horton's coffee.

You described this as a switch but then expose it as a glorified nic.
Assuming more goodstuff(tm) coming?

cheers,
jamal