Subject: Q: State of Linux RSTP support

From: Tilman Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:00:02 +0200

According to Stephen Hemminger's presentation at
http://www.slideshare.net/shemminger/new-bridge (which seems to be the
most recent information available on the topic) the in-kernel bridging
code only provides STP. RTSP is (should be) provided by a user space
daemon, rtspd. However, none of the distributions I routinely use
provide that daemon. Sourceforge has a project named rstpd but it
seems to be inactive.

A search for RSTP in the current git tree finds

- - in net/bridge/br_netlink.c, a comment:
                      /* Binary compatibility with old RSTP */

- - in net/bridge/br_private.h, an enum constant for struct net_bridge
member stp_enabled:
              BR_USER_STP,            /* new RSTP in userspace */

but nothing in, say, the Documentation folder.

Any pointers?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
Tilman

- -- 
Tilman Schmidt                              E-Mail: [email-masked]
Bonn, Germany
Diese Nachricht besteht zu 100% aus wiederverwerteten Bits.
Ungeöffnet mindestens haltbar bis: (siehe Rückseite)