Subject: Re: tc rsvp filter show broke

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:48:18 -0400

On 09/28/14 13:50, John Fastabend wrote:
> On 09/28/2014 10:15 AM, Cong Wang wrote:

>                           act->type = exts->type = TCA_OLD_COMPAT;
>                           list_add(&act->list, &exts->actions);
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

Right.

Note, this exts->xx thing we should eventually kill. It was intended to
allow for old binary compatibility (for about 10 years now).
In the earlier days, policer was a speacial action and one could invoke
it directly from "tc filter ....."
But over time, the more sane way is:
"tc filter .. action police ..."
We have killed ability to compile in the kernel policer to support to
allow old tools to continue to use it at least 5 years ago.
tc still has support but I doubt if anyone uses it. Otherwise there
would have been a lot of fallout from
commit 4bfb21ca2043dc5251102e4debcc0ae27f7304e7 in iproute2.

So if there are any takers for patches, i think the first thing is
to kill every call in iproute2 which calls police directly.
And if nobody whines, then get rid of most of exts->XXX (at minimal
there would be no need for exts->police)

cheers,
jamal