Subject: Re: [PATCH 06/14] net: dsa: Add support for hardware monitoring

From: Guenter Roeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:27:55 -0700

On 10/23/2014 01:24 AM, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:06:41PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>> On 10/22/2014 09:37 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>>> You probably want the number of temperature sensors to come from the
>>> switch driver, and support arbitrary number of temperature sensors?
>>
>> In that case we would need the number of sensors, pass a sensor index,
>> and create a dynamic number of attributes. The code would get much more
>> complex without real benefit unless there is such a chip - and if there is,
>> we can still change the code at that time. I would prefer to keep it simple
>> for now.
>
> Better to do it correctly, right from the start. There *will* be such
> a chip one day, and the person wanting to add it will appreciate the
> solid foundation (even if that person ends up being you ;).
>

That is really a matter of opinion; others say one should only introduce
complex infrastructure into the kernel if and when needed. I don't mind
changing the code to anticipate multiple sensors, but as I said it would
be more complex, obviously I would only have limited means to test it,
and, yes, by nature I tend to be one of the people who prefer to keep
things simple. Before I jump into doing this, I would prefer to get
guidance from the maintainer. David ?

Thanks,
Guenter