Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 09/15] net: dsa: Add support for switch EEPROM access

From: Guenter Roeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 06:22:35 -0700

On 10/27/2014 01:50 AM, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 08:56:20PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>>
>> Also, it seems that you request two separate properties, one for presence
>> and another for length. Is that correct ? Again, I thought that would not
>> provide any value since presence is indicated by length != 0 in the ethtool
>> callback function. No problem, though, I'll be happy to create two separate
>> properties and platform data variables if you think that would be better.
>
> The fewer properties, the better.
>

Right now I have:

Optional properties:
- eeprom-length         : Set to the length of an EEPROM connected to the
                           switch. Must be set if the switch can not detect
                           the presence and/or size of a connected EEPROM,
                           otherwise optional.

and I think Andrew is asking for the following:

Optional properties:
- eeprom-present	: Boolean property indicating that an EEPROM is present.
			  Must be set if an EEPROM is present.
- eeprom-length         : Set to the length of an EEPROM connected to the
                           switch. Must be set if the switch can not detect
                           the size of a connected EEPROM, otherwise optional.

Platform data semantics would be the same.

I can go either way, but I would like to get some kind of agreement before I jump
into writing the code.

Thanks,
Guenter