Subject: Re: [patch iproute2] tc: add support for vlan tc action

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 15:19:34 -0500

On 11/12/14 09:55, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Signed-off-by: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
>

Latest patches work great. If you want you can
include these notes in the iproute2 commit log.

There is only one small doubt when i add two vlan
tags(Q followed by QandQ). Look at the very end
of the text i have below...

cheers,
jamal

---
export TC=/media/MT1/other-gits/iproute2-jiri/tc/tc
export ETH=eth0
#index supplied by kernel
sudo $TC actions add action vlan pop
#explicit add with our index
sudo $TC actions add action vlan pop index 10
sudo $TC actions add action vlan push id 123
sudo $TC actions add action vlan push id 456 protocol 802.1Q
sudo $TC actions add action vlan push id 789 protocol 802.1ad

sudo $TC actions ls action vlan
------ expect something like ----
         action order 0:  vlan pop
          index 1 ref 1 bind 0

         action order 1:  vlan push id 123 protocol 802.1Q
          index 2 ref 1 bind 0

         action order 2:  vlan push id 456 protocol 802.1Q
          index 3 ref 1 bind 0

         action order 3:  vlan push id 789 protocol 802.1ad
          index 4 ref 1 bind 0

         action order 4:  vlan pop
          index 10 ref 1 bind 0
-------
#show stats
sudo $TC -s actions ls action vlan

-------
         action order 0:  vlan pop
          index 1 ref 1 bind 0 installed 78 sec used 78 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 1:  vlan push id 123 protocol 802.1Q
          index 2 ref 1 bind 0 installed 44 sec used 44 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 2:  vlan push id 456 protocol 802.1Q
          index 3 ref 1 bind 0 installed 42 sec used 42 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 3:  vlan push id 789 protocol 802.1ad
          index 4 ref 1 bind 0 installed 39 sec used 39 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 4:  vlan pop
          index 10 ref 1 bind 0 installed 47 sec used 47 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
-----

sudo $TC actions flush action vlan
#expect all actions to be gone..
sudo $TC actions ls action vlan

#lets bind actions to filters...
sudo ip li add dev dummy0 type dummy
sudo ifconfig dummy0 up
#
sudo tc qdisc del dev $ETH ingress
sudo tc qdisc add dev $ETH ingress
#
sudo $TC filter add dev $ETH parent ffff: pref 11 protocol ip \
u32 match ip src 10.0.0.1 flowid 1:1 \
action  vlan  push id 123 \
action mirred egress redirect dev dummy0

window 1> sudo tcpdump -n -i dummy0 -e -X
window 2> ping -c 1 10.0.0.1

Expect something like:
52:54:00:c3:4b:c5 > 02:00:00:22:01:01, ethertype 802.1Q (0x8100), length 
102: vlan 123, p 0, ethertype IPv4, ...
#now look at the stats..
sudo $TC -s filter ls dev $ETH parent ffff: protocol ip
#
sudo $TC filter add dev $ETH parent ffff: pref 12 protocol ip \
u32 match ip src 10.0.0.2 flowid 1:2 \
action vlan push id 456 protocol 802.1Q \
action mirred egress redirect dev dummy0

sudo tcpdump -n -i dummy0 -X -e
ping -c 1 10.0.0.2
#look at the stats..
sudo $TC -s filter ls dev $ETH parent ffff: protocol ip
#
sudo $TC filter add dev $ETH parent ffff: pref 13 protocol ip \
u32 match ip src 10.0.0.13 flowid 1:13 \
action vlan push id 789 protocol 802.1ad \
action mirred egress redirect dev dummy0
ping -c 1 10.0.0.2

sudo tcpdump -n -i dummy0 -X -e
Expect ...
52:54:00:c3:4b:c5 > 02:00:00:22:01:01, ethertype 802.1Q-QinQ (0x88a8), 
length 102: vlan 789, p 0, ethertype IPv4,,,
#
sudo $TC -s filter ls dev $ETH parent 1: protocol ip
#
# Speaking in New Brunswickian:
#             For shits and giggles lets add two vlans ...
# match all pings this time...
#
sudo $TC filter add dev $ETH parent ffff: pref 11 protocol ip u32 \
match ip protocol 1 0xff flowid 1:1 \
action  vlan  push id 123 \
action vlan push id 789 protocol 802.1ad \
action mirred egress redirect dev dummy0

sudo $TC -s filter ls dev $ETH parent ffff: protocol ip
------
filter pref 11 u32
filter pref 11 u32 fh 800: ht divisor 1
filter pref 11 u32 fh 800::800 order 2048 key ht 800 bkt 0 flowid 1:1 
(rule hit 2 success 0)
   match 00010000/00ff0000 at 8 (success 0 )
         action order 1:  vlan push id 123 protocol 802.1Q
          index 13 ref 1 bind 1 installed 6 sec used 6 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 2:  vlan push id 789 protocol 802.1ad
          index 14 ref 1 bind 1 installed 6 sec used 6 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 3: mirred (Egress Redirect to device dummy0) stolen
         index 9 ref 1 bind 1 installed 6 sec used 6 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
----

Send 10 pings to 192.168.100.1
ping 192.168.100.1 -c 10

sudo $TC -s filter ls dev $ETH parent ffff: protocol ip
------
filter pref 11 u32
filter pref 11 u32 fh 800: ht divisor 1
filter pref 11 u32 fh 800::800 order 2048 key ht 800 bkt 0 flowid 1:1 
(rule hit 24 success 10)
   match 00010000/00ff0000 at 8 (success 10 )
         action order 1:  vlan push id 123 protocol 802.1Q
          index 13 ref 1 bind 1 installed 143 sec used 60 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 840 bytes 10 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 2:  vlan push id 789 protocol 802.1ad
          index 14 ref 1 bind 1 installed 143 sec used 60 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 840 bytes 10 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

         action order 3: mirred (Egress Redirect to device dummy0) stolen
         index 9 ref 1 bind 1 installed 143 sec used 60 sec
         Action statistics:
         Sent 840 bytes 10 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
         backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
--------

As can be seen, the two vlan tags were supposedly added. I am
not sure how well it worked. I see 4 more bytes added. tcpdump doesnt do
a good job telling me if it worked...

17:58:31.636816 00:22:01:01:52:54 > 00:00:00:00:02:00, ethertype 
802.1Q-QinQ (0x88a8), length 106: vlan 789, p 0, LLC, dsap Unknown 
(0x44) Group, ssap Null (0x00) Command, ctrl 0x5400: Information, send 
seq 0, rcv seq 42, Flags [Command], length 88
         0x0000:  0000 0000 0200 0022 0101 5254 88a8 0315
         0x0010:  00c3 4500 0054 c06b 0000 4001 704c 8100
         0x0020:  007b c0a8 6401 c0a8 649f 0000 24b8 027c
         0x0030:  000a c7e5 6854 0000 0000 e0b4 0900 0000
         0x0040:  0000 1011 1213 1415 1617 1819 1a1b 1c1d
         0x0050:  1e1f 2021 2223 2425 2627 2829 2a2b 2c2d
         0x0060:  2e2f 3031 3233 3435 3637

Here it is with just 802.1q tag...
17:53:38.198323 52:54:00:c3:4b:c5 > 02:00:00:22:01:01, ethertype 802.1Q 
(0x8100), length 102: vlan 456, p 0, ethertype IPv4, 192.168.100.1 > 
192.168.100.159: ICMP echo reply, id 620, seq 1, length 64
         0x0000:  0200 0022 0101 5254 00c3 4bc5 8100 01c8
         0x0010:  0800 4500 0054 c052 0000 4001 7065 c0a8
         0x0020:  6401 c0a8 649f 0000 6482 026c 0001 a2e4
         0x0030:  6854 0000 0000 cc04 0300 0000 0000 1011
         0x0040:  1213 1415 1617 1819 1a1b 1c1d 1e1f 2021
         0x0050:  2223 2425 2627 2829 2a2b 2c2d 2e2f 3031
         0x0060:  3233 3435 3637

------------