Subject: Re: [patch net-next v3 02/17] net: make vid as a parameter for ndo_fdb_add/ndo_fdb_del

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 07:57:00 -0500

On 11/27/14 16:55, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 09:59:37PM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
>> Ya right now the driver just doesn't call br_fdb_external_learn_add()
>> if LEARNING_SYNC is not set.  It's a port driver setting so it seems
>> fine to handle it in the port driver.  You could move the check up to
>> br_fdb_external_learn_add(), but then you have an extra call every 1s
>> for each fdb entry being refreshed.  (1s or whatever the refresh
>> frequency is).  Easier to avoid this overhead and make the decision at
>> the source.
>
> I have been thinking about moving the check into bridge code, it to make
> it there as well as in drivers. This is easily changeable on demenad
> later though, so I left this for now.
>

It seems more comfortable to move to the core if you are doing polling
with timers... i.e you kick it per-offload via some timer. The arming
being done by the setting of LEARNING_SYNC
There are cases where all this is done via interrupts. i.e the hardware
will issue an interrupt only then do you poll..

Maybe Scott's approach is the correct one. I am indifferent to be
honest, these are some of those things that can be easily refactored
as more hardware shows up.

cheers,
jamal