Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 2/4] swdevice: add new api to set and del bridge port attributes

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 10:26:12 -0500

Sorry - i didnt quiet follow the discussion, but i can see the value
of propagating things from parent to children netdevs as part of the
generic approach. And in that spirit:

Ben's patches (and I am sure the cumulus folk do this) expose ports.
i.e you boot up the hardware and you see ports. You can then put these
ports in a bridge and you can offload fdbs and do other parametrization
to the ASIC. IOW, this only becomes a bridge because you created one
in the kernel and attached bridge ports to it.

Lets say i didnt want a bridge. I want instead to take these exposed
ports and create a bond (and maybe play with LACP). How does this
propagation from parent->child->child work then? I think the idea
of just bonding and not exposing it as a switch is a reasonable use
case.
Also how does it work when i start doing L3 and the bond's port doesnt
support L3? Is it time to revive the thing we called TheThing in Du?

cheers,
jamal

On 12/14/14 14:41, Roopa Prabhu wrote:
> On 12/14/14, 7:35 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:

[..chopped off for brevity and saving electrons..]

cheers,
jamal