Subject: Re: SRIOV as bridge Re: [PATCH net-next RESEND] net: Do not call ndo_dflt_fdb_dump if ndo_fdb_dump is defined.

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:19:11 -0500

On 12/21/14 14:08, Roopa Prabhu wrote:
> PF still stays but not as the management interface.
>
> Even if 'TheClassThingy' where there, you wouldn't refer to it as the
> master (ie the PF will not have a netdev master/slave relationship with
> the VF). 'master' will still be used for the netdev 'upper'  device if
> VF was enslaved to one (which could be a bridge).
>

Well, there is an embedded switch underneath the VFs (in hardware).
You cant send pkts from one VF to another without going through this
switch (or in VEPA mode via it). i.e you dont need a kernel bridge.
So in essence the VF is a bridge port to  this embedded switch (as
is the PF). So the role of master points downwards from the kernel.
Master is just not visible at the kernel. I am not sure what "self"
would mean in this case.
This is why i dont think current switchdev approach would work.

cheers,
jamal