Subject: Re: [PATCH] brcm80211: brcmsmac: dma: Remove some unused functions

From: Arend van Spriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:06:42 +0100

On 01/05/15 11:49, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Rickard Strandqvist<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> As I hope you can see I have made some changes regarding the
>> subject-line. Thought it was an advantage to be able to see which file
>> I actually removed something from. There seems to be a big focus on
>> getting right on subject-line right in recent weeks.
>>
>> I wonder why there is a script that takes a file name, and respond
>> with an appropriate subject line?

Is there a script for this? Anyway, I would say driver name is enough. 
Enough about the subject line ;-) I would like to give some general 
remarks as you seem to touch a lot of kernel code. First off, I think it 
is good to remove unused stuff. However, I would like some more 
explanation on your methodology apart from "partially found by using a 
static code analysis program". So a cover-letter explaining that would 
have been nice (maybe still is). Things like Kconfig option can affect 
whether function are used or not so how did you cover that.

Regards,
Arend

> I don't think you can really automate this as some drivers do this a bit
> differently. You always need to manually check the commit log.
>
>> But ok, I change my script accordingly. Should I submit the patch again?
>
> Yes, please resubmit.
>