Subject: Re: [PATCH] Revert "ipw2200: select CFG80211_WEXT"

From: Arend van Spriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 23:13:09 +0100

On 01/05/15 23:05, Paul Bolle wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 19:57 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> Multiple other groups of ioctls could be converted in similar patches,
>> until at the end you can completely remove ipw_wx_handlers and rely
>> entirely on cfg80211's wext compatibility.
>>
>> So far the theory - in practice nobody cared enough to start working on
>> any of these drivers, let alone actually has the hardware today.
>
> So my suggestion to make ipw2200 no longer use cfg80211_wext_giwname()
> would actually be backwards. What's actually needed, in theory, is to
> use more of what's provided under CFG80211_WEXT (and, I guess, less of
> what's provided under WIRELESS_EXT). Did I get that right?

Yes, but as Johannes indicated it needs consideration what to group in 
the patches.

Regards,
Arend

> Thanks,
> Paul Bolle