Subject: Re: [PATCH net] ipv6: stop sending PTB packets for MTU < 1280

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 01:52:35 -0300

Hi, Loganaden,

On 01/20/2015 01:02 AM, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
> 
> Last time I was inquiring about depracated atomic fragments, people
> were concerned that there wasn't enough practical data to decide
> whether to go forward or not.

What kind of practical data?

FWIW,
<https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-00.txt>
seems to be good enough when it comes to reasons for deprecating them.

Besides, please check Section 5.2 of
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-01.txt>
-- my "connection" to kernel.org was vulnerable to such attack.

> Would a sysctl with it turned on by default be a good option, until we
> are 100% sure ?

<https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-00.txt>
 was adopted by the 6man wg last November. While the I-D is not ready an
RFC, and there might be minor modifications, it seems that there's
agreement in not generating atomic fragments.

If you do want to have a sysctl for this, please make it default to "off".

Thanks!

Best regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492