Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 0/3] Linn Ethernet Packet Sniffer driver

From: Stathis Voukelatos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:12:08 +0000

Hi Richard,

On 25/02/15 17:01, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 04:19:45PM +0100, Richard Cochran wrote:
>> Let me suggest another approach that stays in line with the existing
>> frame work.  Based on the device's limitations and your own example,
>> it seems clear that the intended use case is synchronization for AVB
>> applications using gPTP.
>
> Also, forgot to say, expose your clock as a PTP Hardware Clock (PHC).
>

Regarding this last point, the actual counter that generates the 
timestamps is not part of the sniffer H/W module. Timestamps are 
provided to the sniffer externally in H/W by a different module.
Apart of that there is not eg. a sniffer register to read the current 
counter value. I wonder if it should be the driver for the module where 
the counter belongs (called Event Timer in the Pistachio Soc) that 
should register the PHC.

I need some more time to study your other suggestions regarding the PHY 
timestamping framework.

> Thanks,
> Richard

Regards,
Stathis
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html