Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] OVS Offload Decision Proposal

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 07:37:53 -0500

On 03/05/15 02:39, John Fastabend wrote:

>
> The intent was to reserve space in the tables for l2, l3, user space,
> and whatever else is needed. This reservation needs to come from the
> administrator because even the kernel doesn't know how much of my
> table space I want to reserve for l2 vs l3 vs tc vs ... The sizing
> of each of these tables will depend on the use case. If I'm provisioning
> L3 networks I may want to create a large l3 table and no 'tc' table.
> If I'm building a firewall box I might want a small l3 table and a
> large 'tc' table. Also depending on how wide I want my matches in the
> 'tc' case I may consume more or less resources in the hardware.
>

Would kernel boot/module options passed to the driver not suffice?
That implies a central authority that decides what these table size
slicing looks like.

> Once the reservation of resources occurs we wouldn't let user space
> arbitrarily write to any table but only tables that have been
> explicitly reserved for user space to write to.
>

How would one allow for a bypass to create tables (a write command)
but not to write to said tables? likely i am missing something
subtle.

cheers,
jamal