Subject: Re: [PATCH iproute2] route: label externally offloaded routes

From: roopa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 17:27:09 -0700

On 3/8/15, 3:10 PM, Scott Feldman wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 6:35 AM, Roopa Prabhu <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 07:15:35AM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
>>>> From: Scott Feldman <[email-masked]>
>>>>
>>>> On ip route print dump, label externally offloaded routes with
>>>> "external".
>>>> Offloaded routes are flagged with RTNH_F_EXTERNAL, a recent additon to
>>>> net-next.  For example:
>>>>
>>>> $ ip route
>>>> default via 192.168.0.2 dev eth0
>>>> 11.0.0.0/30 dev swp1  proto kernel  scope link  src 11.0.0.2 external
>>>> 11.0.0.4/30 via 11.0.0.1 dev swp1  proto zebra  metric 20 external
>>>> 11.0.0.8/30 dev swp2  proto kernel  scope link  src 11.0.0.10 external
>>>> 11.0.0.12/30 via 11.0.0.9 dev swp2  proto zebra  metric 20 external
>>>> 12.0.0.2  proto zebra  metric 30 external
>>>>         nexthop via 11.0.0.1  dev swp1 weight 1
>>>>         nexthop via 11.0.0.9  dev swp2 weight 1
>>>> 12.0.0.3 via 11.0.0.1 dev swp1  proto zebra  metric 20 external
>>>> 12.0.0.4 via 11.0.0.9 dev swp2  proto zebra  metric 20 external
>>>> 192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.15
>>>>
>>>> Signed-off-by: Scott Feldman <[email-masked]>
>> No objections to the patch.
>>
>> since this is now getting exposed to userspace and there were suggestions in
>> the past to use words like 'hw' or 'offload' in place of 'external' here,
>> checking to see if you are taking suggestions. If yes, would 'hw' or
>> 'offloaded' be a better name for the flag ?.
> We used "external" because that's what was used for marking FDB
> entries.  I personally have no preference other than we be consistent
> for each object offloaded externally.  There will be other objects
> we'll need to tag, such as bonds, so if there is enough objection to
> "external", we should make the change now for FIB abd FDB objects, and
> be consistent with future objects.
agree, we should make the change now if needed to suite all types of 
object offloads.
I would vote for 'hw' or 'offload' or 'hwoffload'.

Thanks,
Roopa