Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/6] of: add API for changing parameters of fixed link

From: Stas Sergeev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:39:45 +0300

27.03.2015 19:21, Florian Fainelli пишет:
>> Do you want mvneta to register a similar callback in of_mdio, instead
>> of adding an explicit state-updating functions? Something like
>> of_phy_fixed_link_set_update_callback()?
> You don't need an of_phy_fixed_link_set_update callback, you just need
> to provide a fixed_link_update callback in mvneta, that you register,
That approach I in fact considered initially, as the simplest one,
and even had a patch. But I disliked the fact that then mvneta will
exploit the knowledge of the fact that of_phy_register_fixed_link()
uses a fixed_phy driver. What if the implementation will later change?
Also what makes me uncomfortable is that since of_phy_register_fixed_link()
doesn't even return the struct phy_device pointer, mvneta will have
to get around that and use for example of_phy_find_device(), or register
the callback later, after of_phy_connect(). dsa/slave.c does of_phy_connect()
initially, together with fixed link registration, so it gets around the
problem. But mvneta registers the fixed_link in .probe callback, and
does of_phy_connect() in .open callback.
This all made me to drop that idea despite the simplicity.

>> This will remove a few changes indeed, but perhaps not too much.
>> Please confirm if this is exactly what you want, and then I try.
> Let me know if this is clearer now, if not, I can certainly cook a
> patch which does what I am suggesting. Thanks!
I can do that too, because I already did.
Let me know if the above concerns are not important, and I'll
restore my initial patch.
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html