Subject: Re: Atheros 8035 PHY only works when at803x_config_init() is commented out

From: Daniel Mack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:21:58 +0200

On 04/10/2015 12:01 PM, Mason wrote:
> Daniel Mack wrote:

>> A company I used to work with ships various hardware models in
>> quantities which features this chip, and they're using the unpatched
>> mainline kernel version of the driver.

Meh. I just double-checked the references again and figured the final
verions of the hardware design featured a 8030 model, not 8035. Sorry
for that.

So there might be a difference, and maybe the 8035 needs special
treatment. Then again, Fabio said he has a 8035 working.

>>> Maybe on my PHY, writing BMCR_RESET to BMCR triggers a SW reset,
>>> while it triggers a HW reset on other boards?
>>
>> AFAIK, the chip does not do this, no. But even if it did,
> 
> Did you forget to finish that sentence? :-)

Even if it did, the kernel driver should still be able to set up the
device just fine.

>> I'd still go and check if there's anything in one of the chained
>> bootloaders that does some magic. One other thing that might give you a
>> hint is to manually pull the RESET line low for a short time right when
>> the kernel decompressor is started. That way, the kernel has to deal
>> with a device that has just seen a hardware reset. Just see if that
>> makes any difference.
> 
> I'd force a HW reset by jiggling the appropriate GPIO pin?
> Like you did in the at803x.c driver?

Yes. But that's just to gain more ideas where to look for, and possibly
find a pattern.

Daniel