Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Renesas Ethernet AVB driver

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 23:49:40 +0300

Hello.

On 04/13/2015 11:32 PM, David Miller wrote:

>> Ethernet AVB includes an Gigabit Ethernet controller (E-MAC) that is basically
>> compatible with SuperH Gigabit Ethernet E-MAC). Ethernet AVB  has a dedicated
>> direct memory access controller (AVB-DMAC) that is a new design compared to the
>> SuperH E-DMAC. The AVB-DMAC is compliant with 3 standards formulated for IEEE
>> 802.1BA: IEEE 802.1AS timing and synchronization protocol, IEEE 802.1Qav real-
>> time transfer, and the IEEE 802.1Qat stream reservation protocol.

>> Not only the Ethernet driver is enclosed, there is also the PTP driver in
>> the same file.  These drivers only support device tree probing, so the binding
>> document is included in this patch.

>> Based on the original patches by Mitsuhiro Kimura (Ethernet driver) and Masaru
>> Nagai (PTP driver).

>> Signed-off-by: Mitsuhiro Kimura <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: Masaru Nagai <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>

> Doesn't build properly on x86-64:

>    CC [M]  drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb.o
> drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb.c: In function ‘ravb_set_buffer_align’:
> drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb.c:955:16: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Wpointer-to-int-cast]
>    u32 reserve = (u32)skb->data & (RAVB_ALIGN - 1);
>                  ^
> drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb.c: At top level:
> drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb.c:2771:2: error: unknown field ‘gettime’ specified in initializer
>    .gettime = ravb_ptp_gettime,
>    ^
> drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb.c:2772:2: error: unknown field ‘settime’ specified in initializer
>    .settime = ravb_ptp_settime,
>    ^

    So, timespec64 patches have been merged to net-next... In my haste I just 
forgot to compile-test the driver in net-next, sorry about that. :-<

> It is not acceptable to fix this by removing COMPILE_TEST from the Kconfig
> dependencies or something like that.

    It's also impossible as the errors themselves don't depend on ARCH. :-)

> Thanks.

WBR, Sergei