Subject: Re: [PATCH resend] Renesas Ethernet AVB driver

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 13:14:40 +0300

Hello.

On 4/14/2015 8:27 AM, Richard Cochran wrote:

>>>> This is a bit hacky.  Can't your driver make sure that the HW is ready?

>>>     Will look into this. Perhaps it's a remainder from when the PTP driver was
>>> separate...

>>     No, we enter this mode upon closing the Ethernet device and when
>> the ring DMA sizes are changed. Seems unavoidable...

>>>>> +    if (ravb_read(priv->ndev, CSR) & CSR_OPS_CONFIG)
>>>>> +        return true;
>>>>> +    else
>>>>> +        return false;

> It is surely avoidable.  The driver knows (or should know) whether or
> not the hardware has been configured or not.

    So you only want to avoid the register read here?

> Thanks,
> Richard

WBR, Sergei