Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] net: move qdisc ingress filtering on top of netfilter ingress hooks

From: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 02:00:21 +0200

On 04/30/2015 01:36 AM, Patrick McHardy wrote:
...
> You obviously realize this callchain is fully made up by yourself

Hence, I wrote path, not call chain, I guess that should have been
clear.

[...]
> The difference is very simple: where we had an indirect call to
> q->enqueue before (and a lot of crap that didn't belong there),
> we now have a call to nf_hook_slow, followed by the hook invocation.

Sure, but what I wanted to express is that from an architectural
point of view down to invoking a classifier, we now have a list of
hooks, one element of those can be ingress qdisc and that one can
have lists of classifier/actions by itself, etc. That doesn't seem
sound wrt 'where it really belongs'.

Personally, I have no objections if you want to use netfilter on
ingress, don't get me wrong, but that ingress qdisc part doesn't
really fit in there, and moving it behind netfilter facilities does
have additional cost for a packet.